NTI Disappointed that Crown Appeals Historic Ruling
Released | August 21, 2012 | Print this article
Nunavut Tunngavik Inc. President Cathy Towtongie today expressed disappointment in the Government of Canada for appealing an historic ruling issued earlier this summer in relation to the lawsuit filed in 2006 for the government’s failure to implement the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement. NTI’s legal counsel received the notice of appeal last week.
“This is very disappointing,” said Towtongie. “Despite losing one previous appeal and four legal motions to NTI related to the NTI lawsuit, the Government of Canada continues to spend its resources on fighting NTI in court rather than focusing on fulfilling promises it made years ago in exchange for Inuit surrendering Aboriginal title in the Arctic.”
In June, Justice Earl Johnson of the Nunavut Court of Justice issued a well-reasoned ruling in favour of NTI on the failure of the Government of Canada to create a Nunavut General Monitoring Plan as required by the NLCA. The decision involved only one part of the lawsuit. Other parts of the lawsuit, including government’s breaches on Inuit employment (Article 23) and government contracting (Article 24), continue to move forward.
The judgment granted NTI $14.8 million in damages. After winning the historical ruling, NTI received congratulations from many Aboriginal organizations across the country.
“I wish to thank these organizations for their support and solidarity. It is unfortunate that many Aboriginal Peoples have to go through the same path of frustration, non-implementation and litigation in order to get the federal government to honour basic contractual obligations.”
Towtongie said NTI will continue to confidently proceed with the lawsuit and the appeal.NTI Disappointed that Crown Appeals Historic Ruling (pdf)